Removal and replacement of an existing 12 year old built-up roof system over a fabrication building located on the Ronler Acres campus, in Hillsboro, Oregon. The existing 100,000 square foot roof system installed in 1998, covering a building that primarily houses clean-rooms, had expired prematurely and required complete replacement while at the same time implementing special protection methods to safeguard building interiors from damaging air borne particulates. This successful roof replacement project was considered a first to be performed over an operating Intel chip fabrication facility. Intel Corporation retained PRC to assembly construction documents and provide construction administration services for the duration of the project.
Roof replacement included:
Design, development, and management of the roof system replacement project from conception to final construction.
- Removal of existing roof system components and installation of a vapor retarder membrane covered by a new 80-mil fully-adhered thermoplastic poly olefin (TPO) roof system.
- Installation of a layered rigid insulation assembly to improve thermal performance.
- Protection measures designed to block 100% passage of water and dust into building interiors during the course of the entire construction project, including during existing roof system removal activities.
- Implementation of means and methods to redirect airborne molecular contamination particulates (AMCs ) away from or into building interiors during the course of construction.
- Repair to existing roof system located inside enclosed spaces, separate from the main roof areas, with specially trained personnel tasked with installing specially designed waterproofing details.
- Installation of custom designed and fabricated sheet metal flashings at roof transitions and intersections.
- Application and installation of customized fluid-applied coating systems and flashings to repair, upgrade, and replace existing failing waterproofing systems that surrounded roof level operating machinery that could not be moved or repositioned due to size and weight.
- Installation of specially designed flashings and waterproofing systems to protect roof areas in proximity to fluid transport lines (both toxic and non-toxic), various nonconforming structural supports, and air filtration penthouse structures.
- Installation of upgraded fall protection (fall restraint) systems at all roof edges to conform to Intel’s updated fall protection standards.